Saturday, December 04, 2004

Translation of script

After going to Nokia Club Service Point in Gran Vía to pick up my two free tickets to the film The Incredibles (the store was already closed), I went to have lunch in typical Spanish restaurant. While there I received a phone call from a client in UK for a translation job. I barely heard her since everybody was shouting (mind you this is not the normal talk here in Spain) while eating!

I instructed the client to send me the document and arranged the mode of payment. We agreed to have the translated text delivered on Monday.

No holiday for me - Spain has a long weekend this week from today until the 8th!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Could you share any advice on purchasing an english<->tagalog dictionary?

I started learning tagalog from scratch 2 months ago, but my biggest obstacle is lack of a quality dictionary. I have the 460 page dictionary by "Carl R. Galvez Rubino", which is the biggest and best available in western bookstores (both online and in meatspace), but it gives far too little information for a learner.

Examples:
"of: prep. ni; ng; sa, yari sa."
(which tells me nothing of how to express "of")
"smell: v. amuyin, maamuyan, mangamoy"
(which of these verbs mean "to smell"?, and which if any mean "to smell of")

So I think I have to order direct from a philippino company. The biggest dictionary I've found is "Vicassans English-Pilipino" dictionary: http://www.divisoria.net/971-270-4246.html
1,603 pages, $58 at the above link ($21 plus $37 shipping). Other webpages I've looked at are kabayancentral.com, reflectionsofasia.com, and filipinobooks.com. Can you recommend a reference sized dictionary? or comment on any good/bad places to buy online?

Ciaran,
An Irishman living in Belgium

2:44 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment.
I recommend the dictionary of Fr. English.

Regarding the preposition ni, it is used for persons (example: Ang papel ni Mary. The paper of Mary) while ng is used for places or things (ex. Ang lungsod ng Manila. The city of Manila). Yari sa is "made of" like the bag is made of leather - ang bag ay yari sa balat.

Amuyin is the imperative of the verb "amoy". So, amuyin mo ang bulaklak is "smell the flower." Nangangamoy ang basura is "the trash stinks." "Smell of flower" is amoy ng bulaklak. I hope this explanation helps.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Joseph, your Translation of script came up on my search for free translation. nice blog with useful info.will use for reference in the future.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home