Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Hoax hate letter

Internet is a worldwide success as well as hoaxes sent through this means. In a flash a message whether it is true or not can travel around the world and spread whatever information it carries with it. This afternoon I was "lucky" to be a recipient of a hate letter against the Filipinos. I reacted stubbornly without a second thought resending the letter to my Filipino friends around the world. A few minutes passed and I tried to look for the accused person who allegedly wrote this hate letter. To my surprise, the person did not have anything to do with it and few other articles even a lawsuit were confirming the lies behind this missive. I was so naïve! I felt perplexed and ashamed when I figured out that this hoax has been circulating since 2001! A major and widely read newspaper in the Philippines was sued for printing it. The much respected Philippine Daily Inquirer was, as I was today, a victim of this e-hoax. Fearing that my email to friends might trigger an unstoppable chain letter therefore collapsing some net traffic, I followed up my email by expressing apology to all the recipients of my recent e-hoax turned e-spam.

So friends be careful on the false information circulating on the net. Investigate first before making a stand.

6 Comments:

Blogger rolly said...

I also received that email, twice. At the second time pa nga, I wanted to write Art Bell and give him a piece of my mind. But I ruled against it. La naman akong mapapala, ika ko. Good thing because after that I saw the disclaimer and the lawsuit filed by Mr. Bell.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Sassy Lawyer said...

I never read that. Bakit sa akin, ang hate mail para sa akin lang specifically...??

4:03 PM  
Blogger Christopher Sundita said...

Art Bell's Filipinos make me puke letter first appeared in December 1998 - and I remember seeing it at that time. Once a month for the the past 6 years I see this letter either in e-mail or in message boards. Bwisit talaga.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Sassy - marami ka yatang kagalit being a renowned lawyer, lol.
Chris, this was the first time I received that letter and I was so carried away by my emotions kaya I sent it to my friends immediately but it was false.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

Hi Isko! I would be more than gald to meet you here if you have the time. The port is so near the souvenir shops at Ramblas, don't worry.

Tito Rolly - ako nga rin sabi ko wala akong mapapala pero in the long run dapat din tayong mag-respond sa mga ganyang paratang (kung totoo nga). Sino nga kaya ang may gawa niyon?

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time I saw this! I just don't quite seem to understand it. Whoever it is who started this is quite jealous of Filipinos. Hoax or no hoax! However, I just can't seem to understand where that thing of we trying to fit in came from?!? I never once did! We're different from everybody else! We're naturally beautiful, inside and out! We do whatever the hell we want! We're Filipinos!

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home